St. Vladimir's Seminary Announces Orthodox Education Day 2014
June 13, 2014
ORTHODOX EDUCATION DAY 2014:
“Do Books Still Matter?
A Celebration of Orthodox Christian Publications”
October 4, 2014
St. Vladimir’s Seminary has chosen as its theme for Orthodox Education Day 2014, "Do Books Still Matter? A Celebration of Orthodox Christian Publications." This year’s traditional open house will be held Saturday, October 4, and will pay tribute to the importance of Orthodox Christian authors, illustrators, and publishing houses throughout the world.
The dean of the seminary, The Very Rev. Dr. John Behr, author of academic, popular, and spiritual works, will be the keynote speaker. The seminary’s own publishing house, St. Vladimir’s Seminary Press (SVS Press), will receive special recognition on reaching its 50th Anniversary and will invite many other Orthodox Christian publishers onto campus to help mark the occasion. The celebration of Divine Liturgy in Three Hierarchs Chapel will begin the day, with antiphonal choirs under the direction of Dr. David Drillock, the seminary’s emeritus Professor of Liturgical Music and author of several SVS Press music books, and Hdn. Herman (Majkrzak), current lecturer in Liturgical Music and director of Chapel Music.
Invitations to Orthodox Christian presses and authors and illustrators, and a schedule of the day will be forthcoming.
St. Tikhon's Seminary Seeking Director of Development
June 20, 2014
[STOTS] [SOUTH CANAAN, PA]
St. Tikhon’s Orthodox Theological Seminary in South Canaan, PA is now interviewing qualified people for the position of Director of Development. Those interested may send resume information to 178 St. Tikhon’s Rd. Waymart, PA 18472.
St. Tikhon’s Orthodox Theological Seminary
Director of Development
Position: Reporting to and in partnership with the Dean and Rector, the Development Director (Director) will spearhead development efforts as St. Tikhon’s continues to evolve and grow. Depending on experience and availability, the position can be part time leading to full time. Director will have the opportunity to build development functionality in the institution.
1) Develop and execute St. Tikhon’s Seminary’s annual fundraising plan.
2) Develop and execute St. Tikhon’s Seminary’s periodic capital fundraising campaigns.
3) Secure financial support from individuals, parishes, foundations and corporations, and others.
4) Manage the implementation of fundraising software and oversee staff responsible for data entry and gift processing.
5) Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors.
6) Create and execute a strategy for a large sustained base of annual individual, parish, foundation, and corporate donors.
7) Oversee organization of special events.
8) Develop and track proposals and reports for all foundation and corporate fundraising.
9) Work with Board Members for board development.
1) Bachelors’ Degree (required), Master’s Degree in area related to development (a plus).
2) Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills.
3) Knowledge of computers and development-related software.
4) Ability to travel (especially weekends).
5) Certified Fundraising Executive (e.g. Association of Fundraising Professionals) (preferred).
Salary commensurate with experience.
Updated OCA Summer Camp Schedule Now Available
June 25, 2014
The end of the school year signals the beginning of camping season, and over a dozen OCA regional camps are looking forward to opening day during the last week of June.
A comprehensive and updated directory of the OCA’s “coast to coast” camping programs, compiled by OCA Youth Director Andrew Boyd, is now available in PDF format.
Orthodox Christian Prison Ministry Welcomes New Director
June 26, 2014
FLEETWOOD, PA [OCPM]
The Board of Directors of Orthodox Christian Prison Ministry announced during the last week of June 2014 that Priest Stephen Powley has been named OCPM’s Executive Director.
OCPM is an agency of the Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops of the United States of America.
Chaplain Patrick Tutella, who had served as Executive Director since 2009, will be stepping down at the end of June to begin new ventures in prison ministry.
“We are very thankful to Chaplain Patrick for his dedicated leadership these past five years. He has been a great asset to OCPM,” said Eric Grant, OCPM board chairman. “At the same time, we welcome Father Stephen into his new role and look forward to continued growth under his leadership.”
Father Stephen began working with OCPM in 2005, first as a board member and later as Assistant Director. He served as a prison chaplain for almost 26 years in state and federal prisons. During that time, he ministered to people in prisons at every security level, including maximum security prisons. He has lectured widely to audiences about prison ministry and has been active in training clergy and lay people for prison ministry.
In related news, OCPM’s 2014 Convocation, slated to be held in Houston, TX July 24-26, 2014, has been cancelled.
For additional information on OCPM’s ministry visit http://theocpm.org.